Black as Evil

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 10 21:23:53 UTC 2000

Dear Indologists,

The study of Dravidian duality is interesting. After
a good search, the black against white duality could not be
found in Sangam tamil texts.

What I find is darkness (black) versus red dualism
in a few rare instances. No black vs. white dualism though!
In both of the examples, the heart/intelligence is
considered bad if it is dark (black) instead of being
red. Note that 'manasu' in Tamil refers to heart,
which is 'red' symbolically. Like the biblical instances,
'my body turns black' means lifeless or death,
and inside of the heart is like a cave.

a) A sangam textual example:

  koTiyai vAzi tumpi i nOy
  paTuka til amma yAn2 nin2akku uraitten2a
  mey E karumai an2Ri um cevvan2
  aRivu um karitu O aRan2 ilOy nin2akku E     (naR.277.1-4)

b) A tirukkuRaL example:

  puRamkun2Ri  kaNDanaiya rEn2um  akamkun2Ri
  mUkkiR kariyAr uTaittu                      (kuRaL 277)

The Aryan texts' duality of black versus white and this
notion's application and influence in Revelation and John
is remarkable.

Regards,
N. Ganesan