Original language of Yoga Suutra

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Mon Dec 4 11:51:14 UTC 2000

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Dmitri wrote:

> Here is an example of ellipsis:
>
> I.34  pracchardanavidhaara.naabhyaa.m vaa praa.nasya
>
> So, there are at least three ellipsises in this suutra: two nouns
> (or noun phrases) and a verb.
>
> Traditional rendering of it as
>
> Optionally, by expulsion and retention of breath  (Raama Prasaada)
>
> resorts to grammatical stretch (if not violence) by making vaa separating
> a noun and describing it noun, not to mention that vaa
> does not have a meaning "optionally", but means an alternative.

vaa, indeed, can have the meaning "optionally" in grammar, i.e. in
Paa.nini's A.s.taadhyaayii and the subsequent works. See, e.g., Louis
Renou: Terminologie grammaticale du sanskrit, 2nd ed., Paris 1957, p. 271,
s. v. "vaa"; K. V. Abhyankar: Dictionary of Sanskrit Grammar, 2nd ed.,
Baroda 1977, p. 344, s.v. "vaa". Louis Renou: "Sur le genre du suutra dans
la littérature sanskrite." In: Journal Asiatique 251 (1963), p. 186.

Note, that I do not claim that "vaa" here, in the Yogasutra, means
"optionally", I just want to point out that this can be the case in
certain contexts elsewhere.

Peter Wyzlic

--
Peter Wyzlic
Indologisches Seminar, Universitaet Bonn