genetic markers revisited

Vidhyanath Rao rao.3 at OSU.EDU
Sun Dec 3 15:15:54 UTC 2000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:05:25 +0530, Rajesh Kochhar <rkk at NISTADS.RES.IN>
wrote:

> Genetic studies cannot possibly distinguish between invasion
> and  migration.

There is a more basic question, beyoond others mentioned so far,
which I don't know has been addressed or not: People tend to
marry those not too far from where they are.  [Caste endogamy
plus fast travel has made this inaccurate for modern India,
but I doubt that it was so even 100 years ago.] So I would
expect to see clines for frequency of genetic markers running from
NW to S/E, irrespective of invasions or migrations. Any argument
for migrations needs to stand out beyond this. Presumably we would
need to use spatial stat methods for this. Have such analyses been
done?

Regards
Nath