Genetics issues in ancient India

Fri Dec 1 22:51:19 UTC 2000

Steve Farmer <saf at SAFARMER.COM> wrote:

>The papers by Kivisild & Distell (cited in earlier posts) have
>been wildly misinterpreted to show that no Aryan migration ever
>occurred. The work of Bamshad and the rest of his group have been
>wildly misinterpreted to show not only that a migration occurred,
>but that it was in fact a full-blown Aryan Invasion of the old
>Mortimer Wheeler style.

You see, that is part of the problem of talking across disciplines
with entirely different foci. Most physical scientists do not know
the nuances of the humanistic and social scientific problems, and
most social scientists do not know the subtleties behind scientific
conclusions. That is part of the reason I went into some detail on technical
issues in my previous post, although it seemed a little
off-topic for this list.

Given the great potential for misinterpretation and wilful political
misuse, I think the humanities and social science people should make
an effort to better inform themselves about the new results that are
pouring in from genetic researchers every day.

Vidyasankar