Genetics issues in ancient India (Tantrism)

Satya Upadhya satya_upadhya at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 1 22:04:17 UTC 2000

Steve,
thanks for that info. I have not read the two papers cited in the article,
so i am not in a position to argue with u on this. Note, however, that one
of the researchers in these studies directly told the writer of this "news
item" that an Aryan "invasion" had taken place. Since there are conflicting
expert opinions on this matter, i won't say more for now.

As an aside, i would like to know whether any recent studies on Tantrism
have been done? Is it not true that concrete relics of Tantrism have been
found in the Harappan region? Further, is it not true that there have been
two traditions in Hindu culture--the Vedic and the Tantric--the former
corresponding to the pastoral nomads who migrated into North Western India
and had a patriachal culture; and the latter being the original inhabitants
of the land, who were agriculturists following a matriachal culture.

As another aside, is it not true that Tantrism was materialistic in nature,
in its original form (some have claimed, for example, that the Charvaka
philosophers in ancient India were actually Tantriks[this is what some
medieval philosophers like Gunaratna say]), and only later did it become
infused with spiritualistic elements.

Thanking you,
Satya