The "Net of Indra"

Arlo Griffiths griffithsa at RULLET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Tue Aug 29 08:40:07 UTC 2000

A question, a reference, and a note from an anupaniita;si.sya:

* What texts are you referring to when you mention "Indrajaala texts"? As
for Vedic, I find no references except at the chronologically distant
passages AV;S 8.8 = AVP 16.29 and AVPari;s 3.1.13 (plus some late
Upani.sadic passages).

* In case you had not come across this yet, you might consult Teun
Goudriaan's "Maayaa, Divine an Human", which has a lengthy chapter on the
concept of the .Sa.tkarmaa.ni.

* An Orissa manuscript (belonging to an Oriya Atharvavedic brahmin) is
available to me, which seems to be related to the little known
text(s)/system of magical rituals which are referred to
"(Praty)AA:ngirasakalpa". It offers i.a. a description of these Six Acts.
The ms. also contains geometric and yantra/ma.n.dala type drawings, which
are to be used for these acts. There are several flowers, among these
shapes, but they all seem to have 8 (or more) petals.

-- Arlo Griffiths

CNWS / Instituut Kern
Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515