Kanchi Shankara Mutt

SUBSCRIBE INDOLOGY ganapathi sivabgs at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 27 14:05:36 UTC 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:41:52 GMT, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>With all due respect, you could have made your point more effectively, a
>couple of days ago, by quoting all these pieces of evidence, instead of
>releasing them in bits and pieces. I hope you don't view this exchange
>simply as a means to proclaim, "Vidyasankar is wrong." Tanjavur Maratha
>history is still a rather obscure thing, and "prior disclosure" might help
>us all develop a better idea of those events.

It was not intentional.I couldn't quote all the data because of their
nature and volume.I will try to provide complete ref. details hereafter..

>Could you also share with us the publication details of your sources? I am
>aware only of R. S. Shelvankar's 1933 book on the Modi manuscripts at the
>Tanjavur Saraswati Mahal Library. You seem to be quoting from more recent
>publications.

I rely upon the books published by the Tamil University and Saraswathi
Mahaal Library, Tanjore. The Annual nUmbers of The Saraswathi Mahaal
Library are also referred often.

My conclusion is that The kanchi Kamakoti Mutt had come to Kumbhakonam
during the reign of Prathapa Simhan. The modi manuscripts and other
inscriptions (during the 18th and 19th Centuries)do refer the institution
only as Kanchi Kamakoti Shankara mutt and the Peetadhipathi as The
shankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam.

Thanks
BGS