The "Net of Indra"

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Aug 18 16:59:50 UTC 2000

L. S. Cousins wrote:

> Not the Avatam.saka which is a Chinese collection of materials, not
> all of which has been proven to be of Indian origin.

I am puzzled by this statement.  As you will know there is also a
Tibetan translation by Vairocana-rak.sita of this text (collection of
texts) which largely corresponds in content to the Chinese version but
clearly is not translated from the Chinese (as in the case of one of
the Nirvana / Lankavatara Sutras).   This would seem to indicate
strongly that there was some Indic original for this corpus --
possibly of Central Asian provenance.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge