Hindu names for Kashmiri Muslims (Was: Nehru-Gandhi dynasty)

Samar Abbas abbas at IOPB.RES.IN
Fri Aug 11 05:57:49 UTC 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Allen W Thrasher wrote:
> The idea that the Nehrus were Muslims seems pretty absurd to me, but I
> want to take issue with one contention: ... Whether it's forbidden or
> not, I have met or read of Kashmiri Muslims .. with what one would
> usually consider Hindu family names, such as Bhat, or even Shaiva.

Yes, that is correct. some Kashmiri Muslims follow the anomalous custom of
preserving their Hindu names - Dar, Bhat etc. As a result, their
`conversion' is often doubted by more Orthodox Muslims. It is said that
these persons are converts from the recent 1990s jihad. Those with
authentic Muslim names are said to be the ancestral Kashmiri Muslims.

 But despite that, `Nehru' still does not fall in this category. There are
no Muslim Gandhis and Nehrus. So the Hindutva site
(http://swordoftruth.com) claiming that Pandit Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi
were Muslims is wrong.

Best Regards,
Samar