SV: SV: Rajaram's bull

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Aug 6 13:21:42 UTC 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> I do appreciate that Indians are wary of Western critique and tend to get
> defensive. This is a normal reaction to critique from outsiders everywhere.

After some objective and semi-objective remarks, such generalizations
are "humorous" (pardon me for the word!).  Most Indians are more critical
of India than any western critic may imagine.  However Indians have just
come to learn to fight against sweeping arraogance.  Indians have not been
good chroniclers and the country depends on others for the
characterization and analysis.  Unfortunately "others"
have not been scholar historians.  Some Indians who reconstruct
are failing miserably.  It will change.

> But as professionals working on South Asian matters, you cannot expect us
> to be entirely silent. It is our job to hold an opinion, and to express it.

I think scholraly opinions should be always admired.

Regards,

BM