Rajatarangini references and "vidyAdhara"

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 29 12:19:22 UTC 2000

You wrote:
>1. Monier-Williams gives the following references from Rajatarangini
>for "cAkrika":
>"a companion" Rajat. vi , 272 ; "a companion" , v , 267
>I would appreciate if anybody can give the actual text and conventional
>explanations for these two occurrences.

>2. Does the Sanskrit tradition ever associate vidyAdharas with
>music-making (similar to gandharvas)?

  Me too interested in vidyadharas and gandharvas. Are there
  any good books/articles where pertaining info is brought together?

  The vidyadharii, kayacantikai in manimekalai is called a "kArikai".
  "karikai nallaaL kayacantikai", "kaayacantikai en2um karikai", ...
  Monier-Williams gives kArikai= a female dancer. Then atleast
  indirectly, vidyadharii is involved in dance/music-making.

  In decapitation legends of ancient India, vidyadharas and gandharvas
  said to live in the fig trees. See A. Parpola, SAvitrI
  and resurrection, 1998
  Section 39. Shattered heads, vidyAdharas and gandharvas.
  p. 285,
  "There must have been many victims whose heads were smashed
  beneath the fig trees, and they became Vidyaadhara spirits
  living in those trees. The Gandharvas and Apsarases are
  generally known for their love affairs as well as for their
  skill in music and dance. It was musicians (mAgadha, sUta)
  and coutesans (puMzcalI) who (as substitute victims)
  performed the leading parts in the 'sacred marriage' rites
  of the Veda (mahAvrata, vrAtyastoma, lamented slaughterer
  of the horse in azvamedha)."

  Regards,
  V. Iyer