translation

Fri Apr 28 13:29:51 UTC 2000

>I would be grateful if somebody could give me the exact sanskrit
>equivalents for corn, wheat and oat.

The easiest way it to look up the search facility of the Indology/Tamil
Insitute at Cologne

http://www.uni-koeln.de:80/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/mwd_search.html

based on the Monier Williams Dict.  -- I checked out 'wheat' some months
ago, and got some 40-odd terms (including, of course, wheat flour, all
sorts of cakes, etc.)
Then do the reverse and look up the Skt.terms for a countercheck of the
range of meanings...

Otherwise, Monier Williams', V.S.Apte's and other Engl.- Skt. dict.,  and
K.Mylius' German-Skt. dict. ; all limited in number of words quoted, of
course.

Now, also the Skt/ French (-Skt.) dictionary by Gerard Huet:

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~huet/SKT/sanskrit.html

or go directly to its index (search facility) :

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~huet/SKT/DICO/index.html

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs