New Indology List

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Apr 27 19:48:10 UTC 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Periannan Chandrasekaran wrote:

> I wonder if Dominik is alreay thinking of talking in legal terms with the
> operators of egroups.com and with the founders of the fake group.

By no means.  I do think you are right in suggesting that the new egroup
list name has been chosen to try and compete head-on with this list.  But
that's fine.  Competition is useful, and if they produce a sparkling list
which everyone wants to join, I'll happily close down INDOLOGY.  No
problem.  This isn't *my* list, it is the members' list.  I just happen to
have founded it, and because of that I control certain aspects of it.

When I set up the INDOLOGY list in 1990, I never imagined it would have
more than thirty or so members.  It currently has over six hundred
members.  This is very odd, but quite nice.  And I have come to think that
the list does fulfil a rather important function for a profession whose
members are usually isolated in separate universities and
institutions.  But six hundred is a big number, and there is clearly room
for diversity and for other similar lists to be formed.

Alternative invitation-only lists have already been set for the more
specific discussion of topics like vyakarana, ayurveda, and so
forth.  This is healthy.

As I've said before: good luck to the new list.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.