Fool Jokes in Skt lit [was: Arguing techniques]

Jonathan Silk jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 26 21:36:32 UTC 2000

>Fosse wrote about:

>As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if there is such a thing as, say,
>Bengali/Punjabi/Tamil etc jokes in India

There are a number of texts which are collections of "fool stories",
some included in Kathasaritsagara, a Jaina collection edited long ago
by Jacobi, and the Buddhist Baiyu-jing [One Hundred Parables Sutra]
has parallels for about half its tales in Indian Skt texts. The
stories I remember from the Jaina text are about stupid Brahmins. I
don't have the references here, but I trust Roland Steiner can come
up with them in a snap of the fingers ;-)

Jonathan Silk

jonathan.silk at yale.edu

Dept. of Religious Studies
Yale University