SV: Arguing techniques

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Tue Apr 25 15:43:32 UTC 2000

Koenraad Elst [SMTP:koenraad.elst at PANDORA.BE] skrev 25. april 2000 16:46:
> My apologies to both list members mentioned, for there is a
misunderstanding
> here.  In a Dutch aside in a mail mostly addressed to me, Prof. Witzel
> jocularly said he would not start telling Belgian jokes.  From my reply
that
> I don't care too much about Belgian jokes thrown at me, some have
inferred
> that Witzel did try the Belgian joke strategy.  He did not, and I found
the
> exchange rather humorous.  No need to get worked up about this.

As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if there is such a thing as, say,
Bengali/Punjabi/Tamil etc jokes in India and if the point concerns a
supposed characteristic of the targeted ethnic group. The Belgian jokes
mentioned here are really the same jokes that Norwegians tell about Swedes
and Swedes about Norwegians, the point being the supposed slow-wittedness
of the members of the other ethnic group. (E.g.: Heard about the Swede who
wanted to write "Happy Birthday" on a birthday cake and spent two hours
trying to get it through his typewriter?)  In Norway and Sweden, we also
have Finnish jokes, where the point usually is the supposed stamina,
vodka-guzzling ability and general toughness and virility of the Finns.
Scottish jokes (stinginess) should be know to all on the list. So how about
India?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse