Sanskrit proper names

J. Neelis neelisja at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Apr 24 15:02:34 UTC 2000

Dear Christian,

Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Grammar and Dictionary contains
references to many (but certainly not all) Buddhist Sanskrit proper
names. For Sanskrit proper names in general, useful sources include Alfons
Hilka's Die altindischen Personennamen (Breslau: 1910)and S. Sorensen's An
Index to the Names in the Mahabharata (1904). Inscriptions from Buddhist
archaeological sites such as Bharhut and Sanchi stupas, cave monasteries
in the Western Ghats, and graffiti complexes in the Northern Areas of
Pakistan also illuminate Buddhist naming practices.

-Jason Neelis