Beavers and arguing techniques

Mon Apr 24 02:51:41 UTC 2000

>Dr. Witzel exclaimed: "It is amazing  how some on this list manage, TIME AND
>AGAIN (emphasis VA's), to misunderstand/misinterpret simple sentences
>and/or their context.

>VA responds: It is rather strange that the listmaster does not pay attention
>to the condenscending remarks of birds of the same tree.

Indeed, one is mildly irritated when even one's simple sentences are
misinterpreted
---  just as the list owner *himself* "exlaimed" a few weeks ago.

And, whom do I have to remind of the more severe case,  showcased in  my "gem
collection", that  insinuated / accused me of writing about 'Aryan panzers' ??
(INDOLOGY 2/13/2000, -- cf. also VA himself, on 2/11/2000)
Check the archives:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0002&L=indology&D=1&F=&S=&P=15
771
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0002&L=indology&D=1&F=&S=&P=15
670
(No.154/155)

and VA:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0002&L=indology&O=D&H=0&D=0&T=
1
No. 131, section 2.

The rest of the above message effusingly speaks for itself and does not
need any comment.

ENOUGH said!

Nothing more on this until, again, once more, punaH, pheri, phire:
Palaeontology will tell, and I have already promised to let y'all know...

-------------------------------

However, I add a general observation.

Anybody who has read this list over the past decade might have noticed that
*some* regard our discussion as a sparring or (Thai) boxing match where
every kick and trick in the book is allowed (details can be supplied from a
list of
old arguing techniques & tricks).

Apparently, *some* simply do not understand that scholars are not 'married'
to any one theory -- in the present case "Avestan" beavers, or 'even' the
Unmentionable Theory -- but that they actually *do* change their mind
according to the evidence available or freshly emerging.

I vividly remember the case of a visitor (who shall not be named), some 15
years ago  who *accused* me of having changed my opinion, to which I
replied that I was *proud* of it (the change, that is)!

Our work is not, or should not, be about pet theories but about evidence
and conclusions.

In this spirit,
Happy holidays!