syAdvAda = anekAntavAda?

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 23 13:07:46 UTC 2000

I've some more questions on JainA philosophy and would be grateful for any
clarifications.

AnekAntavAda is the basic feature of JainA philosophy i.e., truth is multi
faceted and not of a singular nature. So if truth is multi faceted then
expression of it too is many. Reality is both identity AND difference. So is
the syAdvAda or the sapthabhAngi or the dialectic of the seven steps,
supposed to contain "all" views i.e., anekAntavAda? Or do the JainAs accept
that there can be other views besides the sapthabhAngi?

But then again, if I know the sapthabhAngi and it contains all views, what
then is the difference between me and a realized JinA?

And what kind of analogies do the JainAs give to support identity and
difference. A couple of examples will be most helpful.