snake & mongoose in ancient India

Sat Apr 22 16:38:04 UTC 2000

Re: R. Banerjee:

It is perhaps of interest that the modern descendent of *bhebhru in New
Persian, beber,  does *not* refers  to the beaver but to 'a wild, cat-like,
tail-less animal whose skins are used'  (Horn, Grundriss der neupersischen
Etymologie p. 42; Steingass, Pers. dict.,  similarly.) Horn adds that
according to Blanford, Eastern Persia,  Vol. II p. 35, it is doubful
whether the beaver   'still is found in Persia today' (1876).

I mention such old books as they describe the situation well -- before the
modern deterioration of the environment. Similarly, my 130 years old
encyclopedia mentions the beaver between 33* N and 68* N;  33*N  is the
SOUTHERN (not today's northern)  beaver boundary in Spain, and it includes
N. Persia / Afghanistan  etc.

In short, the Mod. Persian word, like the Skt. one, reflect transfer of the
old *bhebhru 'beaver' to Skt. 'mongoose', Mod.Pers. 'cat-like animal'.
Middle Persian (Pahlavi, in the Zoroastrian text, Bundahishn) still has
bawrak, with the usual -ka suffix of MIr., and is probably derived from the
Avestan word.

Mod. Persian is derived (mostly) from O./M. Persian, i.e. from SW. Iran,
situated between c. 33*N - c. 27* N., on the Iraqi border and outside the
range of the E.Iranian Avestan texts. No wonder that they substituted
another animal, just as the speakers of Skt. did.

R. Banerjee:

>But if beavers are not found in iran then both bawri and udra could become
>references to the >same animal.

They are distinct: Middle Persian (Phl. Videvdad)  vadrak 'otter'  <
Avest.  udra;   and Middle Persian bawrak, Mod. Pers. beber 'cat-like
animal' (as above)

>Otters are hunted for their pelts even in southeast asia. 30 beavers pelts
>to make
>a garment for a single person seems excessive. A small otter could fit the
>bill. Ofcourse the figure 30 need not be taken literally either.

Certainly, it can be used figuratively, especially in the case of a dress
of a goddess. However, "a small otter" would not fit even *one* human (not
to speak of deities).

All the Iranian Saravati (Anahita)  would get would be a bikini, or  less.
Not in fashion then.

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs