Prosopis spicigera

S.Kalyanaraman kalyan99 at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Apr 22 04:23:50 UTC 2000

Gautama Vajracharya <gvvajrac at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU> wrote:
> I have a question for Indologists.  In India what time of the year Prosopis
> spicigera or ZamI in Sanskrit bears fruits or pods?  I checked several>
books on Indian botany.  But none of them includes the answer of my question.

Indian synonyms for Prosopis - 6993.Manna-like exudation; prosopis spicigera:
banni a prickly tree with an eatable pod, prosopis spicigera (Ka.); Synonyms:
s'ami, saktuphale, s'ive (Ka.); vanni (Ma.); van-n-i(Ta.); banni acacia fe...
See: http://sarasvati.simplenet.com/Indian%20Lexicon/prosopis.htm

For full botanical info. see:
http://newcrop.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Prosopis_cineraria.html

The species was found in archaeological exploration of a chalcolithic site in
Rajasthan called BALATHAL:
See:http://picatype.com/dig/dl/dl0aa02.htm

Hope this helps. Regards. Dr. S. Kalyanaraman