e.mail address of James Ryan

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 20 17:03:28 UTC 2000

 >Can any one help me with the e.mail address of James Ryan or suggest
 > me how to access the paper entitled "Ravana, Tirukkural and the
 >Historical Roots of the Philosophy of Periyar" presented (by James
 >Ryan) at the 11th Annual Conference on South Asia, Madison,
 >Winconsin, November 1982.
 >Thanks
 >R.Balakrishnan

Dear Sir,

Probably written in his student days. Don't know if
his email, swamijim at aol.com still works. In any case,
you can get Dr. Ryan's email from his teacher,
Dr. G. L. Hart (ghart at socrates.berkeley.edu, glhart at home.com).
James Ryan 1) 1985 The Civakacintamani in Historical Perspective,
Ph. D. diss., UC at Berkeley
2) 1998 Erotic excess and Sexual danger in the Civakacintamani,
p. 67-84, in Open Boundaries, Jain communities and Cultures
in Indian History, (Editor: John E. Cort)

Paula Richman, Many Ramayanas: the diversity of a narrative
tradition in South Asia, University of California, 1991
has an article on Periyar's reading of Ramayanam.
She also says she will do a study of the anti-epic,
(Erode) Pulavar Kuzhanthai's Iravanakaviyam. Don't know its
status, and have you seen Charles Ryerson, (who used to
be in Princeton, New Jersey), Regionalism and religion:
the Tamil renaissance and popular Hinduism, Christian
Literature Society, Chennai, 1988?

Thanks and kind regards,
V. Iyer