Kafirs

Christopher John Fynn cfynn at DIRCON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 12 21:09:15 UTC 2000

Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK>

> Yashwant Malaiya wrote:

> [snip]

> > Buddhism, it seems, lingered  in in Uddian perhaps until 14th cent
> > or so.

> Is there any evidence for the presence of Buddhism later than the C9th
> or even up to the date you mention, apart from Buddhist tantric
> documents which refer to a place known as Oddiyana sometimes (though
> mistakenly, in my belief) located in the Swat Valley ?

> Best wishes,
> Stephen Hodge

I recall reading somewhere that there are still a few Buddhists amongst the
Shina
population of Pakistan who live in Gilgit and neighbouring areas. I don't know
if
they are supposed to be the remaining followers of a native Buddhist tradition
or a people that were at some time converted by Tibetan / Ladakhi Buddhist
missionary activity.

- Chris