Uddian (RE: Kafirs)

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Wed Apr 12 22:09:06 UTC 2000

Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK>

> Yashwant Malaiya wrote:

> [snip]

> > Buddhism, it seems, lingered  in in Uddian perhaps until 14th cent
> > or so.

> Is there any evidence for the presence of Buddhism later than the C9th
> or even up to the date you mention, apart from Buddhist tantric
> documents which refer to a place known as Oddiyana sometimes (though
> mistakenly, in my belief) located in the Swat Valley ?

Can you mention why you think Oddiyan/Uddian was not located in
the Swat valley?

"The Indo-greeks" by Narain (1957) mentions that it was the country
between Suvastu and Gauri rivers. You can find both in the Historical
Atlas of South Asia. There is a chapter on Uddiyan in "Holy Places of the
Buddha" (Dharma Publishing 1994). It quotes Dominico Facenna,
"A Guide to Excavations in Swat", 1964, mentioning that a Buddhist community
may have lived there during 13-14th cent.

I'm not sure  what is the basis on Facenna's belief, but it
looked reasonable to me. In Kashmir, Buddhism certainly flourished
in 13th cent producing Shakyashri. Abul-Fazl, the
learned friend  and courtier of Akbar, was able to locate
Buddhists in Kashmir, but none  learned enough to take part in
Akbar's Ibadat-khana discussions.

The stupas in Swat valley seem to be fair repair. I don't know
that that could be scientifically be taken to suggest that they
have not been neglected for ten centuries.

Decline (specially survival) of Buddhism in India is quite
fascinating. Indian Buddhism has survived among the Baruas of
Bangladesh and the Newars of Nepal. It may have survived in some
form in Orissa well into 18th cent. I've read that in Kanchi
(Tamilnadu) it may have survived until 15th cent. In Vidisha
it must have flourished in 12th cent. While I have not seen
any evidence, it could easily have survived 2-3 centuries there.

I'll appreciate if someone can point out good information on late
survial of Buddhism in India.

Yashwant