snake & mongoose in ancient India

Arlo Griffiths griffithsa at RULLET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Wed Apr 12 10:09:20 UTC 2000

At the AOS meeting in Baltimore (1999), Joshua Katz gave a paper on "How the
Mole Got his Name" [which probably has been published by now somewhere; does
anyone have his email address?], in which he dealt primarily with the word
aakh;u-, but also with other animal names like kaa;siik;aa- and your
nakul;a-.
    Reading his handout, I see that he emphasizes that we are dealing indeed
with Mongooses, NOT ichneumons. As for mongooses in India, he says that "we
find a number of kinds of mongoose (the word mongoose [and other spellings;
cf. Germ. Mungo] is a borrowing from Dravidian), including two species in
the north: Herpestes edwardsi (Common or Indian Grey Mongoose) and Herpestes
auropunctatus (Golden or Small Indian Mongoose). Katz refers to:

- Encyclopedia of Indian natural History 97; R.F. Ewer, The Carnivores
(Ithaca, NY 1973), 402f.; Walker's Mammals of the World (II.), 1043f.

He further refers to "hari.n;a-" as a name for Mongoose, with ref. to SW
Jamison, "The Ravenous Hyenas and the Wounded Sun", 59-61 and 87f (with ref.
to MS 3.9.3 tasmaad dhari.nam svaja.m khaadati). He adds many more
interesting bits of information, which I won't quote anymore, as they have
probably appeared in print somewhere already.
    From Vedic literature (thus, excluding the at least one hundred passages
where the nakula- is mentioned in Mahaabhaarata and Raamaayana, as well as
interesting passages from Dharma texts, Kau.tilya and Vaagbha.t.ta), I find
in my database the following (selected) interesting passages:

AVS (6.139.5.a) yathaa nakulo vichidya sa.mdadhaaty ahi.m puna.h |
AVS (8.7.23.a) (= AVP 16.14.2b) varaaho veda viirudha.m nakulo veda
bhe.sajiim |
AVP (1.44.3.cd) trayas tudaa rujaamasi babhruvo nakulas tvat ||
AVP (1.44.4.ab) trayo vai sma.h sakhaayo babhruvo nakulas tvat |
AVP (1.87.4.d) +vi cchetsyaami nakula iva sarpam ||
Baudh;SS (27.9:333.4) atha havirdo.saan vyaakhyaasyaamo yathaitan
niilamak.sikaa;saatikaa matku.na;s caila;sirasor yuuke kii.to vaa
pi.n.dakaarii syaat k.sudrakii.tamak.sikaapipiilikaavarja;m
;svamaarjaaranakulakukku.tamarka.tadhvaa:nk.saakhupurii.sasikpadake;sam.rtan
akhakunakhapuutidrapsasvedaas.rksnehaa;srukaasak.savathvaardraghra.nair
vopahatam anyair vopahata;m rajasvalayaa vaa sp.r.s.ta.m tathaaprayatena
bhruu.naghnena vaa

Baudh;SS (18.45:398.6) < ta;m saa nakulii bhuutvaa pratyupeyaaya >

ManBr (1.7.15) o.s.thaapidhaanaa nakulii dantaparimita.h pavi.h /
     jihve maa jihvalo vaaca.m caaru maadyeha vaadaya //
This mantra is used at GobhGS 3.4.29  upopavi;sya mukhyaan praa.naan
sa.mm.r;sann o.s.thaapidhaanaa nakulii 'ti

TS (5.5.12.1) aara.nyo 'jo nakula.h ;sakaa te pau.s.naas |
TS (5.5.21.1) si;mho nakulo vyaaghras te mahendraaya
TS (5.6.15.1) saumyaas traya.h ;sviti.mgaa agnaye yavi.s.thaaya trayo
nakulaas
TS (7.3.18.1) nakulaaya svaahaa
VSM 24.26  bhuumyaa aakhuun aa labhate 'ntarik.saaya paa:nktraan dive
ka;saan digbhyo nakulaan babhrukaan avaantaradi;saabhya.h //
VSM 24.32  somaaya kulu:nga aara.nyo 'jo nakula.h ;sakaa te pau.s.naa.h
kro.s.taa maayor indrasya gauram.rga.h pidvo nya:nku.h kakka.tas te
'numatyai prati;srutkaayai cakravaaka.h //

I hope this helps. please check in the Mahaabhaarata yourself, because it
seems to be full of interesting passages.

-- Arlo Griffiths

CNWS / Instituut Kern
Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515