Ukhtomsky and Stcherbatsky's biographies

Yaroslav Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Fri Apr 7 19:26:08 UTC 2000

For the biography of Th. Stcherbatsky you could try:

Shastri D.N. Contribution of Th.Stcherbatsky to Indian Philosophy //
Modern Review. Calcutta, 1953. vol. 93. No.2. P. 117-120.

Fedor Ippolitovich Stcherbatsky. Birth Centenary 1866-1966. A Brief Biographical Note.
Calcutta, 1966

Chattopadhyaya D. Introduction / Papers of Th. Stcherbatsky, tr. by H.C.Gupta. Calcutta,
1969.

Shastri D. Critique of Indian Realism. A study of the Conflict
between the Nyaya-Vaisesika and the Buddhist Dignaga School. Agra,
1964 (pp. XI-XII)

Journal of Indian Philosophy, vol.1, n.3, Nov. 1971 (especially introductory
"Dedication to Stcherbatsky" by D.S.Ruegg).

Bongard-Levin G.. Vigasin A. The Image of India. The Study of Ancient Indian Civilization
in the USSR. Moscow, 1984, pp. 126-243.  (this seems to be the best
source in English)

J.W.de Jong. A Bries History of Buddhist Studies in Europe and
America. Delhi, 1987.

There is much more literature in Russian, of course. If you have any
questions or need any details of Stcherbatsky's biography, I shall be
glad to give you all the answers.

Unfortunately even in Russian there is hardly any literature on Esper
Esperovitch Ukhtomsky.

Hope it will help.

                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov

Thu, 06 Apr 100 07:08 +0300 MSK winnie Fellows wrote to INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK:

> I'm looking for biographies of T. Stcherbatsky and Esper Esperovitch Ukhtomsky or any
> reference material concerning their lives.
>
> J.C.

---
Yaroslav Vassilkov (yavass at YV1041.spb.edu)
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 20:50 +0300 MSK