Indian ascetics

Sam Garg gargsam at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 5 19:58:55 UTC 2000

>Not really. It was more a statement of concern about the religious >values
>of Sannyasa and how what you see in photographs is not >necessarily what is
>central to Hindu tradition(s). If you still >doubt it, go to India and talk
>to Nathpanthi and Dasnami Mahants.

I was not aware that the Nathpanthi and Dasnami Mahants were the official
spokespeople/ registrar for all naked Indian ascetics.

>I'm not trying to portray all Indian sadhus in a negative light. >Just that
>many of them, especially in cities, are not necessarily >what they appear
>to be.

Agreed.

>Yours is a comment on Indian poverty.

Not quite.  Yours was the comment on Indian poverty. Mine had to do with the
pain & suffering involved in exposing 100% skin to the harsh Indian climate
& insects.

>Mine was a comment about how some use this poverty and mix it with >the
>appearance of an ascetic in order to survive. The average Indian >has his
>own ways of evaluating who is real and who is fake, but >those who take
>photographs of exotic India look at it from a totally >distorted
>perspective.

What distorted perspective?  Name one other country/ religion, exotic or
otherwise, which would allow naked sadhus roaming freely all over the place.

Sanjay