Bear

Wed Apr 5 13:33:00 UTC 2000

Yes, once in Rgveda (repeated once in Satapatha Brahmana and once in
Taittiriya Aranyaka)
ursa maior = RkSAH  'the bears' as in Greek (bearess + cubs)
For details see : Vol. 1 and cf. Vol. 5.2 of:

http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs

>I am trying to determine whether the constellation Ursa Major has any
>connection with the figure of a bear in Indian astrology/ astronomy.

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138

ph. 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:         www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs