Rope-Snake

Sat Apr 1 01:57:20 UTC 2000

Since this has not been answered:

Christopher Miles-Yepe:
>I am trying to track down the earliest written references to the rope-snake
>analogy.  Can anyone out there provide any clues?

The oldest references are in the Atharvaveda:  see datvatii rajju-

Examples in my own font, but you can look up the passages.

AV (Saunaka):

4.3.2.a) pareNaitu pathaa vRkaH parameNota taskaraH /
(4.3.2.c) pareNa datvatii rajjuH pareNaaghaayur arSatu //2//
= ~~ PS 6.20.8

(7.55.1.c) pratiicy etv araNii datvatii taan maiSaam agne vaastu bhuun mo
apatyam //1//

(19.47.7.a) maazvaanaaM bhadre taskaro maa nRNaaM yaatudhaanyaH /
(19.47.7.c) paramebhiH pathibhiH steno dhaavatu taskaraH /
(19.47.7.e) pareNa datvatii rajjuH pareNaaghayur arSatu //7//

AV Paippalada: (PS)
<6.20.8b>   steno dhaavatu taskaraH
<6.20.8c>   pareNa datvatii RajjuH
<6.20.8d>   pareNaaghaayur arSatu

<13.4.4b>   krandenaahiin apaavapat
<13.4.4c>   rajju[H] Sma datvatii zere
<13.4.4d>   puuyantiiM pRthiviim anu

cf.
<2.8.5a>   vyaaghraM datvataaM vayaM
<2.8.5b>   prathamaM jambhayaamasi
<2.8.5c>   aaditas tena mahiM
<2.8.5d>   yaatudhaanam atho vRkam

=======
Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138

ph. 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:         www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs