Book Review: An Update on AIT (Part 1)

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Thu Sep 2 15:39:50 UTC 1999

Yet
> Tamil devotion--in the sense in which I have identified it as   networks
of
> praise, passion, and practice through which the language is
> transformed into  the primary site of attachment, love, and loyalty of its

> speakers--is a more   recent phenomenon
> whose foundations were laid in the   nineteenth century with

There are signigificant number of references in CT itself to the the
heritage named
"Tamil" with reverence to it.

> From memory:
paripAdal:
"
teri mAN tamiz mummait ten2n2am poruppan2
pari mA niraiyin2 parantu an2Ru vaiyai"

teri = famous; mAn = glorious; mummai = triple;
poruppu = the [potiyil] mountain
-->"....the king of the [potiyil] mountains home to the  well-known glorious
triple Tamil..."

There are innumerable refereces to the maturai city as the "city where Tamil
grows"
or "the city that nurtures tamil".
The most powerful evidence against Ramasamy's assertion is the famous
episode from
a puRanAn2URu poem by the poet mOci kIran2Ar.
The episode involves the tired poet sleeping on the bed reserved for the
sacred
"royal drum" which has been taken away for ritual bathing; the custom was
to condemn any one who desecrates the bed to capital punishment.
But when the king returns with the drum to return it to its bed, he find the
poet
fast asleep and instead of punishing the poet, he coddles the poet further
by
blowing the royal fan!

When the poet wakes up startled, he sings...
"....
atUum cAlum tamiz muzutu aRital
..."

--->"....it is a very fitting tribute to pay, having a well-rounded
knowledge of Tamil  ..."

an indisputable evidence that millenia ago Tamil was consciously used
 as a glorified label for the native heritage.

The "political agenda" agenda of the epic cilappatikAram seems to be
expressly
to unite the fragmented Tamil society into one unified force against  alien
cultures and powers and there are passages in it from employing the word
"Tamil"
and "tamil nADu" from which this can be deduced.

> Regards
> S. Palaniappan

P.Chandrasekaran.