Fate of NCC

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Sep 29 22:53:37 UTC 1999

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Vielle Christophe wrote:

> A first important thing should be the making of an updated Catalogus
> Catalogorum sticto sensu, i.e. a sequel to Janert's annotated bibliography
> (it seems that the project of his 2nd volume has been abandonned according
> to what Harrassowitz wrote to me).

Subhash Biswas's book of last year accomplishes this to a large extent
(see Alan's email for bibl. details).

> The NCC in its actual form could also be quickly concluded through the
> publication of its unedited material, that is, I suppose, a lot of a paper
> slips,  by the simple photography of them, without "typographic" and real
> "editorial" work except the respect of their alphabetical order.

I believe you underestimate the editorial effort that goes into each entry
in NCC.  I've seen the slips, and the work that is done on them, and there
is a great deal of thought, judgement, and knowledge of literature in the
process of turning the raw catalogue-extract slips into NCC entries.  I
really don't think the raw slips would be seriously useable or useful.

However, archival filming of them might prevent them dropping to pieces
before they can be used. (The same applies to the Poona dictionary slips,
even more so.)

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.