Aryabhatt (Elder)

Agathe Keller kellera at PARIS7.JUSSIEU.FR
Wed Sep 29 08:28:59 UTC 1999

Concerning AryabhaTa's theory of the earth's rotation, and its posterity in
India, you can also look at

R. Bhattacharya, The case of AryabhaTa and his detractors, The Indian
Historical Revieuw, Vol XVII, number 1-2, July 1990-January 1991, p. 35-47.

>For a serious study of Indian astronomy you should looks at the writings of
>David Pingree.  A good place to start would be:
>
>"History of mathematical Astronomy in India," in Dictionary of Scientific
>Biography, vols. 15-16:533-633.  Ed. by C.C. Gillispie.  New York: Charles
>Scribner's Sons, 1981.  This is a reference work that should be easily
>available.
>
>For Aryabhata in particular, I would recommend the book: Aryabhatiya of
>Aryabhata, critical edition with translation.  K.S. Shukla and K.V. Sarma.
>New Delhi: Indian National Science Academy, 1976.

Agathe Keller
141 rue de Paris
93100 Montreuil
(33 1) 55 86 28 16