Aryabhatt (Elder)

Kailash Srivastava se224141 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 28 15:06:03 UTC 1999

Let me introduce myself.

My name is Kailash Srivastava and I come from India. I live in Sweden and
work for a multinational company. By profession, I am a research engineer
and have a PhD degree in electrical engineering.

I have recently got interested in reading about ancient India's achievements
with respect to science and technology. I usually get some questions which I
can not answere. Usually, news groups like soc.cultre.indian etc. do not
appear to be a serious place for my questions. I am not sure if this is
right place for me but I am sure there are people knowledgeble enough to
answer my stupid questions.

My first question is on Aryabhatt (elder).

I read in "India's Contribution to World Culture" that AryaBhatt was the
first to propound heliocentric theory of gravitation much before Copernicus.
However, I do not find such reference anywhere else including MS-Encarta. He
also gave various mathematical formulas that too do not find a place
anywhere.

What are the possible reasons for this?

This is all for time being.

Thanx/Kailash