Rakhigarhi

Erik Seldeslachts erik.seldeslachts at RUG.AC.BE
Thu Sep 23 07:37:05 UTC 1999

Michael Witzel wrote:

> I am afraid that in Harappan times (during the Indus civilization)
> the Sarasvati was called something like
> *Vipaazh or *Vi<sham>baaL.

> If we *really* want to rename the Harappan (Indus civilization), we should
> not call it, anachronistically,  the Indus-Sarasvatii, ....
> but the Sende-VibaaL Civilization.

Dear Professor Witzel,

This is interesting, though very cryptic. Can you please be somewhat more specific.
To what language do these reconstructed forms belong?
Is there a connection between *Vipaazh and VipAZ / VipAZA, or present Beas?

Yours sincerely,

Erik Seldeslachts