Sandhis of word-final N

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at STAFF.UIUC.EDU
Wed Sep 22 19:46:40 UTC 1999

Thanks to Madhav Deshpande for further and helpful discussion.  For _m_, it
is interesting to note that it exhibits a much higher degree of
assimilations to following oral stops (not just to "acute" i.e. dental,
retroflex, palatal ones) and that it goes to anusvara and the like before
fricatives in external sandhi; compared to the other old nasal, _n_, thus
is much "weaker".  The fact that final _m_ also is extremely weak in Latin
may suggest that it came out of PIE as a weak consonant.  This weakness may
be responsible for the fact that final doubling has not been extended to
it.  As for the palatal nasal _ñ_, we are of course dealing with an element
that does not occur in final position in "well-formed" Sanskrit (but maybe
it does in grammatical terms?), not even in onomatopoeia and other
affective vocabulary, it seems.  So perhaps there was nothing there to
begin with to which final doubling could have applied.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock