Thiruvalluvar and Thirukkural

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 21 16:58:13 UTC 1999

V Iyer writes :

>Please tell us the Samskrutam name by which Jainas refer to
>Thirukkural. Give the reference, it may be from ka. naa. subramanian's
>work on thiruvalluvar where ka.naa.cu tries to show that the author
>is jain. Where is the opinion the "Thiruvalluvar was just the
>publisher" expressed?

Actually this was told to me by a JainA monk who I met in
Madras, who was also extremely helpful in helping me understand
JainA philosophy and world view. Actually pleased that
somebody still had interest in all this, I guess.

But before you slam me for quoting an unconfirmed source
let me also assure you that this was not the first time I heard
this about the kural. If I remember right RAdhAkrishnan also
mentions this in his exposition of JainA darshana in his
Indian Philosophy. At the end of the exposition of each school he
also mentions the books he'd used as reference - and one of them
is what I guess is the source of RAdhAkrishnan's quote.