Rakhigarhi and Sarasvati River

S.Kalyanaraman kalyan99 at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Sep 21 07:37:54 UTC 1999

> Please inform me if there are village or river names like
> vaanii-/vaaNi-/bhavaani-/paavanii- etc., in and around
> today's Ghaggar-Hakra/Vedic Sarasvati river.
> N. Ganesan

I am citing from Nando Lal Dey, 1979, The Geographical Dictionary of Ancient
and Mediaeval India, Delhi, Cosmo Publications, p. 207:

Tulja_bhava_ni_ or bhava_ni_nagara.
Tulja_pur, four miles from the Khandwa station of the GIP Railway in the
district of Nimar (now in the district of Naldurg) in the Nizam's
territory (Bom. Gaz., Vol. IX, pt. 1, p. 549). It is one of the 52
pi_t.has (Galdwin's Ayeen Akhery, p. 396). It is the Bhava_ni_nagara
or Tula_bhava_ni_nagar of the S'an:karavijaya (ch. 19), and
Tulja_pura of the Devi_bha_gavata P. (VII,38). It was visited by
S'an:kara_ca_rya. Durga_ is said to have killed Mahis.a_sura at this place
(Devi_bha_gavata, VII, 38 and Burgess' Antiquities of Bidar and Aurangabad, p.
1). The name of the goddess of Maha_sarasvati_ or Tukai.

The place where the Sarasvati river was 'lost' is referred to as Vinas'ana
in the Maha_bha_rata; there are claims that this may be a locality in
Sirsa (Sarasvata Nagara of the historical periods) in Hissar Dist., Haryana.
(cf. Aurel Stein's survey etc. etc.)

Regards,
Kalyanaraman