Rakhigarhi and Sarasvati River

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 20 14:02:07 UTC 1999

Dear Dr. Kalyanaraman and Indology netters,

Greetings. Are there settlement names along the course of
Ghaggar-Hakra (Sarasvati) something like vANIpura/bhavAnipur/etc.,
I read in B. C. Law, Mountains and Rivers of India, 1968
that the place where the lost Sarasvati river reemerges
from sand is called "bhavAnipur". Is this correct?

Also, I understand from Law's book that there is a closeby river
to Sarasvati called Paavanii. Is Paavanii a tributory to Sarasvatii?
Few other close by rivers are called Gaurii, Svetyaa acc. to
B. C. Law.

Please inform me if there are village or river names like
vaanii-/vaaNi-/bhavaani-/paavanii- etc., in and around
today's Ghaggar-Hakra/Vedic Sarasvati river.

Many thanks,
N. Ganesan