Tamil Heritage (was Aryan invasion debate)

Somayaji Rajagopala SSRVJ at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 18 21:15:22 UTC 1999

of the Tamizh> people, it would be> more useful> for the discussion.

If Tamil has its roots in Sanskrit, then all Tamil(T) words should have some
resemblance to the Sanskrit(S) words from which they are supposed to have
originated, even in corrupted form. For instance dhAham(T)-
-dhAha(S)----Mekam(T)---Mega(Sandesam-Kaalidaasa’ play)(S)----This is
Brahminical Tamil. If  a Tamil word is not related to a Sanskrit word-both (T
& S )having the same meaning- - to any stretch of imagination---even to the
root{dhAtu(p)} of the Sanskrit word, then it should be agreed (without any
murmur) that Tamil Genius has developed its own vocabulary without any
support or influence of Sanskrit. Some examples are Kani(T) =
Phalam(S)----Aani (T)=Jyesta(S)-(a month’s name)----Murugu(T)
=Sundaram(S)----Aal(T)=Vata Vrksham(S)---- Arisi(T)=Thandulam----(Arisi has
atleast  some commonality with Rice)----Nel(T)=Vree(S)----Paasi payaru(T) =
Mudga(S)-----Moonru(T) =Treeni(S)---Treeni has commonality with English
Three----Aezhu(T) =Sapta(S)--- has commonality with Septa--- These are all
very common-day to day words—If they have any commonalities- even remotely-
,please enlighten me. From literary Tamil more than 10,000 words can be
cited. I have equal respect for Sanskrit also. If an ethnic group has evolved
a sophisticated means of communication
(language/letters/vocabulary/grammar/vast literature covering a wide spectrum
)quite independent of another equally Elitist language over the same period
of time—the former ethnic group should have the backing of a culture as old
as that of the latter language’s cultural milieu. It should be agreed that
both are independent cultural groups-developed a lot of commonalties-over a
period of time due to Historical compulsions. Unity in Diversity.