Thiruvalluvar and his Thirukkural

C.R. (Selva) Selvakumar selvakum at VALLUVAR.UWATERLOO.CA
Sat Sep 18 16:03:52 UTC 1999

Venkatraman Iyer wrote:

> nanda chandran <vpcnk at hotmail.com) writes:
> >If you want I can give you the Samskrutam name by which it is
> referred  to
> >by the JainAs. And they think that Thiruvalluvar was just the
> publisher and
> >not the author.
>
> Please tell us the Samskrutam name by which Jainas refer to
> Thirukkural. Give the reference, it may be from ka. naa. subramanian's
>
> work on thiruvalluvar where ka.naa.cu tries to show that the author
> is jain. Where is the opinion the "Thiruvalluvar was just the
> publisher" expressed?

        There is a claim that tiruvaLLuvar is the same as Elacharya, who
is said        to be  the Jain Sri Kund Kunda Acharya, who is believed
to be the Tamil.
        Sri Kunda Kunda is one of the most highly regarded Jain Acharya.
The claim
        that tiruvaLLuvar is a Jain is a completely invalid one.  The
tiruvaLLuvar's
        philosophies are quite different from Jainism, Buddhism , and
Vedic which
        does not mean they have some common themes (say somewhat like
those between
        Islam, Judaism and Christianity). The tiruvaLLuvar's
philosophies
        accurately reflect capture the Tamils'
spirit-philosophy-culture.

        C.R.Selvakumar