Continuing the review of Passions of the Tongue

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 12:58:17 UTC 1999

>The following processes relating to Ramaswamy?s work should be of >concern
>to Indologists in the way academia functions:

>1. Given the nature of the topic, the doctoral committee at UC
>Berkeley (Eugene Irschick, Thomas Metcalf, and Robert Goldman)
>did not include a single scholar in Tamil literary tradition.

   I am indeed surprised. Why was Prof. George Hart who is right
  there at Berkeley not included in Ramaswamy's PhD committee?
  Possibly, because Hart will raise important questions.

  Agreeing with Prof. Thorp following the opening statement of
  your review of Ramaswamy's book:
  "Your example is a good one of "Post Colonialism" - the current
faddish and hot position to take in academia if one wants to be
considered as and admired as a radical thinker. Solid historical
work, sadly, is considered old-fashioned and dull".

Regards,
N. Ganesan