De/Increase in USA's India interest, 1970's??

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 12:02:23 UTC 1999

>     The above exchange occurred on Indology today.  Since my first
>?serious? (?) interest in India began in 1967-70 (following
>university-based anti-Vietnam non-violent action projects based on
>MLKing following Gandhi following Thoreau....), my first Fulbright
>there in 1971-72, I have to wonder what ?significant diminution of
>interest in India? refers to, vis a vis Americans.  Surely
>historians cannot forget all those American Seekers (and such-like
>hippies from "the West") who followed the Beatles who followed
>Allen Ginsberg to India in the late 60? and 70?s, and the explosion
>of interest in Gurus, Rishis, Yoga and Transcendental meditation in
>the US througout the 70s.  I thought this was a forum of historians,
>even though Indologists!!!

Dear Friends,

I have a personal query. My mother's father had no son, with
all daughters married away, his 7-8000 sq. ft. home was lying
empty at Singanallur, Coimbatore dist. That house figures prominently
in a Tamil movie called Devar Makan with Sivaji Ganesan and Kamal
Hasan. Will tell later about the house which comes in the Rajnikanth
movie, Ejamaan.

In late 1960s, Leslie Price was living in that house. He
came from Ohio. He lived at Singanallur house for years; My
grandfather gave arrangements for many hunting expeditions of
spotted deer, bison,  and wild boar, .. in the Silent valley,
Anaimalai wildlife reserves. At that time, Iravatham Mahadevan
was the taluk subcollector, I do not have his address.
Is Mr. Leslie Price still with Univ. of Texas history dept.?
If not, how long was he there? Any chance of knowing where he lives
now?

Thanks,
N. Ganesan