Aryan invasion debate

Thu Sep 16 22:02:11 UTC 1999

"C.R. (Selva) Selvakumar" <selvakum at VALLUVAR.UWATERLOO.CA> wrote:

>           I would appreciate it  if you can show the evidence from
>cilappatikaaram and          your Sanskrit sources for the
>Graama-murcchanaa classification.

It is difficult to say who is indebted to whom, but see descriptions of
vaTTappAlai and kural tiripu, of which the latter is the same thing as the
grAma-mUrcchanA, musically speaking. Unfortunately, most of the direct
musical references can only be traced to the commentary of aTiyArkkunallAr,
and not to the cilappatikAram itself. vaTTappAlai is unique to the Tamil
texts, as far as I know, and once you attach relative frequency values to
notes, it gives slightly different results as compared to the other
technique.

Vidyasankar