Atheism in early Vaisesika

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 16 02:26:38 UTC 1999

While the theistic nature of the Padartha Dharma Samgraha (aka Prastapada
Bhasya) of Prasastapada is very clear, it appears that Vaisesika school  was
quite inclined towards agnosticism in its older days. The curious account of
Vaiseshika given in the Sariraka Bhasya (B.S. 2.2.12-15) of Bhagvatpada
Samkara stems from the now lost Ravana Bhasya on Vaisesika Sutras. This is
made clear in the Prakatarthavivarana of Anubhutisvarupacharya (~12th Cent
C.E). The Prakatarthavivarana also states that the Ravana Bhashya was an
ancient work, in contrast to the popular account of Vaisesika (= Prastapada
Bhashya) which was a later revision.

In the Yuktidipika (~7th Cent. C.E.)too, it is alleged that the Vaisesikas
imported the notion of Isvara from the Pasupatas (and a glance at the
mangalasholakas and the account of creation given in the Prastapada Bhashya
clearly indicates the Saivite affiliations of Prasastapada).

The following articles are relevant in this regard: (Please obtain complete,
accurate references from the Bibliography of Karl H. Potter):
1. 'Ravana Bhashya' by Mahamahopadhyaya Vidyavacaspati S. Kuppuswami Sastri
in JOR
2. 'God's arrival in the Vaisesika System' by Johannes Brknhorst in the
Journal of Indian Philosophy (see the years 1990-1997 or refer Potter's
bibliography for complete reference)---> The only thing I disagree here is
Dr. Bronkhorst's assertion (openning sentence) that the sutras themselves do
not refer to God.