Tamil Heritage

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 15 21:02:09 UTC 1999

S Mathuresan writes :

>And note that (if I remember right) Thiruvalluvar himself chides brAhmanas
>against being too restrictive with their women, which indirectly reflects
>the Arya worldview with respect to chastity.

>>This is something new I have not heard of. Is there a quote?

I was just quoting from memory. If I remember right Thiruvalluvar
uses the word "pAppAn" for brAhmana. I don't have my copy with me
at present, so am unable to give you the exact verse.

>In Tamil "interior" poems, love is described with such a class
>and finesse. Ladies' chastity is praised all the time. Not even one
>instance of group orgies or a girl desiring several men - in direct
>contradistinction to some poems from gAthasaptasati or vajjalakam.

I'm not familiar with these texts or their popularity. Are they
Tantric texts?

For an Arya view why don't you refer to popular Bauddha, JainA
texts or even the Manusmriti for its views on chastity, rather
than some obscure texts?

This is like some European who stumbled upon the Khajraho and
immediately made a blanket statement that Hinduism is immoral!

Samskrutam literature was developed over a very large geographical
area and each of these areas had its own influences. So Tantric sexual
views needn't necessarily be interpreted as the general Arya view. It's
infact only an exception rather than the rule, even inside Tantra itself.

Almost all the traditional schools enjoin control - especially in
matters carnal.