INDOLOGY Digest - 11 Sep 1999 to 12 Sep 1999 (#1999-174)

Soar Adrian A.Soar at MACMILLAN.CO.UK
Wed Sep 15 08:22:54 UTC 1999

How do I desubscribe?

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Automatic digest processor
[mailto:LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK]
                Sent:   13 September 1999 00:00
                To:     Recipients of INDOLOGY digests
                Subject:        INDOLOGY Digest - 11 Sep 1999 to 12 Sep 1999
(#1999-174)

                Topics of the day:

                  1. Is ananda an emotion?
                  2. (Fwd) Banning Foreign Scholars in India. (3)
                  3. Continuing the review of Passions of the Tongue
                  4. Bibliographic information wanted
                  5. Godse

                Date:    Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:54:35 PDT
                From:    Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM>
                Subject: Re: Is ananda an emotion?

                "Harsha V. Dehejia" <hdehejia at CCS.CARLETON.CA> wrote:

                >Fellow Indologoists:
                >
                >In a recent seminar there was heated discussion whether
ananda (bliss) is a
                >state of being or is it an exalted human emotion? The
speaker argued that
                >ananda is not an emotion. Any thoughts?

                Perhaps the most extensive discussions of Ananda are found
in the vedAnta
                schools. Check the commentaries of various authors on
brahmasUtra 1. 1.
                12-19, bRhadAraNyaka upanishad 3. 9. 28 and taittirIya
upanishad 2. 1-5.
                Also see maNDana miSra's brahmasiddhi 1. 2-6, where Ananda
as an experience
                (na saMvedyaH karmatva abhAvAt) is distinguished from Ananda
as a state of
                being that is self-luminous (na ca asaMvedyaH
svaprakASatvAt). For a
                nyAya-vaiSeshika perspective, see vAtsyAyana's
nyAyabhUshaNa, which
                criticizes an equation of the state of liberation with an
experience of
                Ananda.

                Vidyasankar