civilizational ardour

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 15 15:56:20 UTC 1999

Vidhya writes :

>Both early NyAya and the Vaiseshika had no place for a creator God >and for
>them too, it's the knowledge of the Self which is the >liberator.

>>Nyaya without a creator God??? Textual sources?

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Early Vaiseshika definitely didn't support a creator, till it found that it
needed one to mobilize its atoms for world creation.

NyAya is much later than Vaiseshika. So it may be that NyAya did have a God
in its scheme of things even in the beginning.

My text on NyAya has the SUtrAs together with the bhAshyam and vArtikam.
Having read the Vaiseshika first I was of the opinion the same followed with
NyAya. Let me check it up. Or if you can clarify, all the better.