Godse

S Stephen sstephen at MEDICALNET.NET
Mon Sep 13 20:03:03 UTC 1999

Bharat Gupt wrote:

> Not only did Gandhians and the Congress that played the role of his heirs
> kept women in the background, even the Indian intellegensia was unable to
define any
> distintive role for the Indian women. Even today women-liberation movement
is
> derivative of European movements.

This may be so, but one of the first things I noted on arriving in the West
is that there's discrimination against women in the job market even today in
the "enlightened" West. In most jobs including in my field, software
engineering, women are paid much less than men and I can provide you with
salary surveys that would substantiate it.

The one thing I should say for India, is eventhough most of the women folk
are not liberated in their own homes, in the educated job market we stand
side by side with men be it in the software or the banking industry both of
which I am familiar with.

Sujata