SV: Closing remarks to Dr. Vassilkov (& Mr. Agarwal) (II)

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Sep 8 12:17:18 UTC 1999

Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> >From my readings in Indigenism, it would seem clear that the "Aryan-Dravidian"
> divide plays a very important role in the history-writing of the Indigenists.
> In other words: because a certain interpretation of history seems to create
> problems between the North and the South, it has to be rejected and replaced by
> a less inconvenient theory.....
> Their job is to manipulate history in the same manner as communist
> and fascist historians manipulated *their* histories in order to use them as
> political tools. So is a debate meaningful at all?

This is not a fair remark:
Fosse's argument against the credibility of Indigenists postulations could apply
equally well to AIT or out of India origin of Aryans. It is easy for one say that the
hidden agenda of all European and American whites, why fascists and communists only, has
been to uphold the hegemonic powers of  Aryans ancestors as conquerers and colonisers of
Greece and India, two major ancient civilisations, and as modern European civilisation
has nothing more solid to fall back upon except the Stonehenge, they interpret the
history of Greece and India as unoriginal. It could also be alleged that Euro-scepticism
about Indian origin of Aryans is to perpetuate the North vs South disparity in the
political order.

Instead of imputing political motives let us remember the crucial drawbacks of AIT as
well as the Idigenists arguments. On one hand there is no archeological evidence of an
Aryan homeland in Europe of Central Asia on the other the Indus script is still unread.
Language, equine zoology, ash layers and astrology, etc., have not combined still to be
anything more than fluid and conjectural. AIT whether hard, soft or pulp, presumes a
"balance of convenience" in favour of North to South movement and the Indigenists
believe in vice-versa as they point out that Harappan civilisation could be Aryan as the
only place where Aryan culture surives to this day is India.