SV: Date of the Buddha and RV

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 5 23:27:36 UTC 1999

From: Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ONLINE.NO>
Subject: SV: Date of the Buddha and RV
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 15:40:09 +0200

Vishal Agarwal [SMTP:vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM] skrev 04. september 1999
01:21:
 > VA: Even ancient non-IE cultures like the Chinese have the Purusha Myth.
Fosse: . I think your question has been answered by Bruce Lincoln in his
book "Myth, Cosmos and Society. Indo-European Themes of Creation and
Destruction". Basically, the answer to your question lies in the
specificities
involved. You have to look at the details. I recommend Lincoln's book, which
will explain this much better than I can do in a short email.

VA: A very detailed response was sent personally in which I cited ancient
interpretations of this particular hymn which contrast the meaning given to
the other IE versions. I wonder if Lincoln has looked at the text I have
referred to you. Comparison of specific details of course assumes that these
were preserved over several millenia--something hardly plausible.
Personally, I have learned the hard way that reading literature which itself
relies much upon secondary literature (like the article by Pashaura Singh on
Arya Samaj  in the recent volume of Bronkhorst/Deshpande 1999) is quite a
waste of time and merely compounds the errors of its own sources.  Anyway,
rather than have any pre-conceived notions about Lincoln's work, I will go
ahead and read it.

Rest was sent in my private email due to its length.