Genetics and Mr. Abbas

Sumedh Mungee sumedh at CS.WUSTL.EDU
Sun Sep 5 19:37:25 UTC 1999

Samar Abbas <abbas at IOPB.RES.IN> writes:

[...]

> like the USA, and feel Indians should take pride in that. However, the
> honor of defending India's most oppressed minority belongs to you, for
> none of the peoples you listed above are more persecuted than Indian
> women -

>   Community       Killings in India (1947-1999)

>   Muslims               70,000
>   Sikhs                200,000
>   Christians           300,000
>   WOMEN             50,000,000

Are you trying to suggest that not a single Hindu has been killed in
India since Independence ? I find that a fascinating insight into your
view of India, and a question surrounding your scholarly motives in
studying Indology. Perhaps you might want to read literature
highlighting the issues surrounding the genocide of Kashmiri Pandits
in Kashmir and the genocide of the Hindus in Bangladesh and
Pakistan. The "numbers" you have posted above will pale in comparison.

Whatever your ulterior motives for studying Indology, I appeal to you,
please do not insult the dead like this. Surely Islam also teaches
that in some form or the other.

With warm regards,

~sumedh